Monday, May 5, 2014

Lemon-Oregano Roasted Chicken

A while back, I pinned a recipe for Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano. It was easily the picture that attracted me. . . made my mouth water. This weekend I decided to give it a shot. My apologies for not having mouth watering pictures but I just forget to do that. I did have to slightly modify the recipe to stay on plan. Here's my version:

Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano

Ingredients

  • 1 lemon
  • 4 large or 8 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (original recipe called for skin on, I made it with skinless)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 sprigs oregano
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (the original recipe called for wine but I didn't have any so I used chicken broth in two steps)
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

Directions


  • Preheat oven to 425°.
  • Very thinly slice half of lemon;discard any seeds.Cut remaining lemon half into 2 wedges. 
  • Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
  • Coat a large room-temperature skillet with 1teaspoon oil. I used my cast-iron skillet. 
  • Add chicken.  Place skillet over medium heat and cook, letting chicken brown, and pouring off excess fat to maintain a thin coating in pan,until chicken is cooked halfway through, about 10 minutes. (Note: the original recipe showed a crispy skin, I of course did skinless but my chicken thighs still browned up nicely and gave me the same effect). 
  • Scatter half of lemon slices over chicken and half on bottom of skillet (the slices on top of the chicken will soften; those in the skillet will caramelize). 
  • Transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through and lemon slices on bottom of skillet are caramelized,6-8 minutes.
  • Transfer chicken pieces and caramelized lemon slices from bottom of skillet to a warm platter.(Leave softened lemon slices in the skillet.)
  • Return skillet to medium heat. Add oregano sprigs, shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook,stirring frequently,until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Remove skillet from heat. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth; cook over medium heat until reduced by half,1-2 minutes.
  • Add the 1/2 cup of chicken broth; cook until thickened, about3minutes.
  • Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over and season sauce with salt, pepper, and juice from remaining lemon wedge, if desired.
  • Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
  • Return chicken to skillet to rewarm.Serve topped with caramelized lemon slices.
Delicious! This was one of my favorite things I've ever made! Served it up with a nice salad and a big glass of ice water. Give it a try - you'll love it. 

And remember, I got this recipe from Bon Appetit - you can view their recipe online


No comments:

Post a Comment