Saturday, April 19, 2014

7 minutes and 98 lbs

I just ran a half mile.

Those of you who know me may be asking me why.

Simple....to celebrate 98 lbs and 7 minutes.

Travel back with me to Easter 2013 and keep reading - this is my life-changer.

Easter 2013 - My sister was here with her kids. I had a great time visiting but I was truly weary from listening to her weight loss story and if she said Take Shape for Life one more time, I was afraid I might hit her.

At nearly 300 lbs, I wanted to roll my eyes. My sister was already thin and I couldn't fathom why she'd want to lose weight. As she spoke, I wanted to slap her and tell her I would give my right leg to be her size.

I was frustrated and I didn't tell her but as the weekend wore on, I felt worse and worse about myself. It wasn't her fault but by Easter Sunday I'd be taking it out on her - mad, angry, irritated, and over-sensitive.

As if Tara wasn't bad enough, my mom had just started Take Shape for Life. When she arrived, the two of them were high on "TSFL" and I felt fat, out of shape, unattractive, stupid, and like I'd messed up my life. Dramatic? Yes, but that's how I felt.

I was miserable but I just wanted everyone to believe I was ok. More than anything I wanted myself to believe I was ok.

Of course, my weight issues didn't start a year ago. It was an accumulation of over 15 years of fast food or other poor eating choices, inactivity, and trying to convince myself I was ok.

I decided to give Take Shape for Life a chance. I figured I'd give it one month and that would get me "kick-started" and then I'd do my own thing.

My food arrived and I started the program one year ago today! 

It only took 3 days for me to realize how much better I could feel when I fueled my body with nutrients instead of crap. I had energy. I was sleeping better.

At a week, I stepped on the scale and was amazed with the progress.

At a month, I figured out a way to afford the second month.

At two months, the cost of the food felt like an investment in a healthier, happier Heather.

To say I feel amazing would be an understatement!

Today marks my one year anniversary of the program. I woke up this morning wondering what outfit I should wear for my one year comparison photo. What outfit would make me look the thinnest? Which one would make my readers say wow? Pictures are worth a thousand words and trust me....later this week when I post a photo, you'll probably say wow.

But today I celebrate something bigger than the way I look. . .today I celebrate the way I feel!

Energetic. Healthy. Confident. Able. Strong. Capable. In control. Beautiful. 


Crater Lake Today
So to celebrate, I decided to do something active.

It started with a trip to Crater Lake. A high elevation, a bit of hiking.








Something a year ago I wouldn't have considered. I would have come up with every excuse under the sun as to why I couldn't go.

And if I did decide to go, I would have packed some chips, chocolate, probably a soda or two for the drive. And when I returned, I would have rewarded myself with McDonalds.






Eat every 2.5 - 3 hours. Today's choices -
S'more Crunch, Peanut Butter Chewy Bar,
Honey Mustard Pretzel Sticks, and a big giant
bottle of water.
This time, I packed my five "meals" and plenty of water. I didn't miss the chips, the chocolate or the McDonalds. In fact, I was excited that my five meals were so convenient and easy to carry.

I traipsed around, enjoying the fact that I could breathe easier. Marveling at how my joints didn't ache. I didn't feel sluggish. I didn't feel like all the other "fit" people were looking at me.


A slimmer, happier, healthier me. 













I felt great - so thankful for the decisions I've made over the last year.



So when I returned home I decided I wasn't done. My dogs were driving me crazy, ready for a walk. So we headed out for a walk.

I walked a block, then two. And all of a sudden, I wanted to run. I can honestly say I've never had that feeling (that I can remember, maybe when I was a kid??). I decided to run to the next intersection. And then I ran a little longer.

And then I decided to see what I could do.

A half mile it turns out. Not bad for no training, right?

I ran. And as I ran, I filled with pride.
My dog ran with me today. 

I celebrated the dozens of donuts over the past year that I've said no to.
I celebrated all the times I didn't hit the drive through.
I celebrated all the french fries (my previous weakness) I didn't eat.

I celebrated a healthier life.
I celebrated a better me.

I celebrated 98 lbs lost.

Each step while I was running felt like victory.

Every step felt amazing. I could do it!

And when the .5 miles were done, I walked another 1.07 just because I could.

And when I finished, I celebrated again....this time I celebrated 7 minutes.

7 GLORIOUS MINUTES!

A year ago, my fastest pace for a mile was 19.57 minutes and that was if I pushed myself as fast as I possibly could. My legs ached. My shins hurt. My thighs were jello. My fingers were swollen. I pushed for that 19.57 minute mile.

Today I beat that by 7 minutes. I came in at 12.06 minutes per mile.

I don't even care that I ran at a turtle's pace.

I ran.

I celebrate. . .

7 beautiful minutes and 98 lbs! 

I'm so thankful a year ago I made the investment in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment