Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What to Do with Wilt-y Salad Mix

I eat a LOT of salad. It's easy, convenient, fast, healthy, and delicious. My favorite is the Earthbound Organics Herb Salad Mix. It has a variety of greens, herbs, and is a great price. I buy it for about $5 for a big giant tub of it.
my favorite salad mix

Buying it in a big tub has a drawback. Occassionally, the mix gets a little "wilty" before I eat it all and so I find myself throwing it out.

Last night, I was faced with throwing out more than half a container. Disappointing on two levels....

First, I haven't gone to the grocery store and so my choices are limited. There goes my plan to have salad - now what?

Second, I really hate throwing something I paid for out.

So I got "creative" - now I'm sure there are those of you who are going to think "duh" but I decided to cook it. DELICIOUS!

First, I took a tsp of olive oil. Added a bit of minced garlic and cooked it until fragrant (about a minute). Added some very thinly sliced onion. Cooked about another 2-3 minutes. Then added about 3 handfuls of the salad mix. Cooked it (tossing it a bit) for about 2 minutes. Put it on a plate and voila - an easy side dish.

Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment