Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chicken Cacciatore with Roasted Radishes

Moment of truth - I really dislike chicken. I know it's healthy and blah blah blah but I'd prefer a nice marbled steak. Because I know chicken is a good option, I'm always on the lookout for recipes and this week I decided to attempt a Chicken Cacciatore recipe. 

I scoured Pinterest for the perfect picture and came to this recipe from a blog called Proud Italian Cook. The photos had me hooked! I've never had this so I can't gauge the "authenticity" of this recipe but I can tell you it was AWESOME! To be "on plan" - I did make a few modifications so here is my version:
My Chicken Cacciatore simmering

Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients

  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (note the original recipe called for whole chicken)
  • 8oz. mixed mushrooms, like crimini and shiitake
  • 1 onion, diced medium
  • 1 small yellow and red pepper, diced medium
  • 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 5 garlic cloves, shaved
  • pitted kalamata olives, a large handful
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup chicken broth plus 2 tbsp lime juice (this was my substitute for white wine in the original recipe)
  • 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes (no sugar added)
  • 5 whole tomatoes chopped
  • Assorted herbs, parsley, basil, oregano and thyme
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions

  • Season chicken with salt, pepper and sprinkled oregano.
  • Heat a heavy cast iron skillet, drizzled with olive oil.
  • Place chicken in pan and do not move it until it reaches a deep golden brown and it's easy to turn, brown other side for a few minutes. 
  • Remove chicken and set aside.
  • Add vegetables, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, a few twigs of thyme, saute for 5 minutes.
  • Add chicken and lime juice mixture and let it reduce.
  • Add chicken broth and tomatoes.
  • Toss in 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and chopped fresh basil.
  • Place the chicken back into the pan and sink into the juices.
  • Simmer on low uncovered on the stove top for about 45 minutes. (Note: I was in a hurry or I would have simmered this even longer so that the chicken would sort of falls apart. The original recipe said to cook until chicken falls off the bone.)
  • Garnish with fresh parsley.
Of course, Proud Italian Cook suggested serving with cooked pasta, polenta or warm crusty bread and we know that's not on plan! I didn't necessarily need any more veggies but I like the feeling of having a "side dish" so I used the opportunity to try another recipe....another Pinterest find of course. Have you ever thought of roasting radishes? Me either - until this recipe crossed my path. I'd say this one is worth trying but it's a little odd. I'd make it again for something different but I don't know that it will end up in my regular rotation.

Roasted Radishes

Ingredients:
My roasted radishes

  • 2 bunches radishes, cleaned, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
  • spray with Pam
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375°F.
  • Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss together. Spray with Pam. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Spread radishes onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until radishes have crisped and browned around the edges and have become almost fork tender.
  • Lightly adjust seasonings and finish with lemon zest, if desired. Serve.
Delicious dinner. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment