Thursday, April 24, 2014

Craving Nuggets

Do you ever just want something breaded? I go through that craving once in a while and lately I've been craving Chicken Nuggets. I make them for the kids occasionally and I prefer to make them from scratch so that I know they're real chicken and not some weird chicken leftover parts.

Until recently, I'll make them nuggets and bake plain ole' chicken breasts for me. Until now...I stumbled across this recipe from Sandy's Kitchen, an excellent resource by the way for lean and green recipes. These nuggets use Medifast Parmesan Puffs as the breading. A bonus - it gives me a chance to use those up as they aren't my favorite thing to eat. I have clients who love them but they're just not my favorite.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Nuggets
from Sandy's Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • 9 oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes- should yield 6 oz cooked (1 Lean)
  • 1 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce (1 Condiment)
  • 1 Bag Medifast Parmesan Cheese Puffs (1 Meal)
  • 1 tbsp Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan Cheese (1 Condiment)


Optional Dipping Sauce:

  • 2 tbsp Hidden Valley Light Ranch Dressing (1 Healthy Fat)
  • 1 tsp Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce (0.33 Condiments)

Directions:

Preheat Oven to 350. Finely crush the Parmesan puffs into a bread-crumb consistency - use food processor or just whack the heck out of the (already opened) bag with something heavy. Mix the Parmesan cheese with the processed Parmesan puffs and pour crumb mixture into a plastic Ziploc bag. Set aside.

Cut Chicken Breast into approximately 1 inch cubes/chunks. Combine chicken with 1 tbsp of Frank's Hot Wing Sauce, tossing until combined. Place the coated chicken (let excess sauce drip off chicken before placing in bag) into the Ziploc bag with the crumb mixture and shake the bag, making sure the chicken is completely coated with the crumbs.

Put the crumb coated chicken cubes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (etc.) and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on your oven, but I used my oven light and kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't burn.

Combine ranch dressing and 1 tsp Frank's Hot Wing Sauce and stir until combined. Serve with chicken bites.


1 Lean Serving with 2.33 Condiments, 1 Healthy Fat, and 1 Meal (Don't forget to add your Greens!)

Let me know if you try them. And remember - Sandy's Kitchen is a great resource. Lots of delicious Lean/Green ideas. Go there now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment