Monday, April 7, 2014

Asparagus-Bacon Frittata

Did you know eggs are allowed on the 5&1 plan? There are people who don't and sometimes I forget. The other night I wanted something different and I didn't want to go to the store. I looked through my fridge and found that I had turkey bacon, eggs, asparagus and decided a fritatta sounded delicious. For a "guidelines" I found this recipe on Pinterest. It was DELICIOUS! 

You can follow the link for the original recipe but here's my recipe with edits:

Asparagus Bacon Frittata

  • 3-5 slices turkey bacon
  • ½ yellow onion, sliced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
  • ½-1 lb. asparagus, sliced on the bias
  • 5-6 eggs, beaten

To Cook:
  • Cook bacon in a large cast iron or oven-safe, nonstick skillet until crispy. Remove from pan and let cool on paper towels.
  • Warm a 2 tsp olive oil in skillet and add sliced onion. Keep heat at medium low and let onions cook slowly to get caramelized (about 10 minutes). Stir occasionally.
  • When onions are soft, add the chopped garlic and stir. Let cook one minute until garlic is fragrant.
  • Add asparagus and turn heat up to medium. Let cook for 5-10 minutes, or until asparagus is cooked to desired doneness.
  • Meanwhile, chop your cooled bacon into small strips. Turn on the oven to the broil setting.
  • When asparagus is done, stir in chopped bacon. Then pour the eggs over the asparagus mixture and make sure it covers everything evenly.
  • Let cook on the stovetop for about 2 minutes, then transfer to the oven (on a middle rack). Cook in oven for 5-10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through and no longer appear wet on top.
  • Remove from oven and serve!
As you can tell from the photo, I did add a bit of low-fat mozzarella to the top near the end of cooking. It was delicious! I served it with a salad and fresh sliced tomatoes! Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment